- Fantastic A/D conversion quality - on par with systems costing several thousands more
- Low Latency plugin tracking is pure heaven - another feature that would cost thousands
- Very intuitive and simple hardware controls lay out and digital console
- Extremely flexible i/o routing
- Great UAD customer service
The Bad (Why 4 stars instead of 5)
In my mind if you make the investment on the Apollo 16 you should be content with you processing DSP power for at least a couple years there should be nothing you can throw at it that it can't handle. But if I ran a session at 96/24 I could barely get through a mixdown using UAD plugs. Plus the plugins are just too expensive. They could include a few more plugins.
Well, I'm looking forward to a digital only version which connects to any kind of converters I buy elsewhere. It's too cheap and all in one.
When my very own Apollo 16 arrived and I connected my previous stems mixes of (4) stereo stem to a total of (8) stereo stems, my mixes literally gave me that satisfaction I yearned for. I really heard the depth, rounded bass, space, etc that I hear so many talk about. Not to mention the LA 610 plugins, it adds extra stuff to my mixes that only a true plugin by UA can give. This unit is well assembled and fits perfectly as a 1 space in my rack. It's hard going to bed on time because I'm up trying so many things. My feeling of creating music again has returned. Thank you UA. I can't wait to share my project with the UA family.
This unit does everything I want. I was not interested in the preamps as I have a 30 channel Trident console from the 1980's and several other preamps. I wanted decent conversion, rock solid stability, UAD plugins in the mix, and occasionally in the monitor / cue mix. I was concerned about latency as I have always had a pre-converter no latency headphone system and I can say this sounds the same, no noticeable delay in the tracking phones. I'm now able to put some cool UA reverbs in the cans when needed, or track through the UA Studer plugs if I want to print saturation. Finally the inserts and flexible outputs are feeding my Hear Technologies system well so I can taylor the monitor options for the artist. Great box, makes working fun!
- got some errors -50 disabling the plugs initiated in a protools 10.3.2 session
- got a real problem to authorize my octo custom; my son first authorized my UAD card on his account. We asked for a transfer of property, which has been done and confirmed. But when I re-authorized the card ON MY ACCOUNT, my son received the congratulation mail. That's a pity, cause when I authorized the octo, I also bought 3 plugs from the custom voucher, which are now authorized for my son. You must have received a mail from JUKE-BOX about this problem. I really hope this will be fixed very soon, as I am running the demos and I have only got 10 days.
- Otherwise, the sound is fantastic
The Apollo 16 is absolutely amazing! The only reason I'm giving it a 4 is because it would be nice to be able to link different systems together such as an Apollo with and Apollo 16. Work that capability in and it would be of of this world!
Just recieved my second Apollo 16 and hooked it up to ProTools, now with 8 cores.
Just love those plugins, punchy compressors, clear and precise Eq's or warm when I need that.
One thing I really think should be different is the ProTools mode. I'm well aware that ProTools only supports 32 I/O on third part hardware, I'm also aware that I/O should be allignened, what I don't understand is that monitor out is put on output 1&2, which leaves input 1&2 idle. I think a better solution would be to put the monitor outputs at the end on output 31&32, this way I won't have an offset when I use other software like Apple Logic Pro.
The Apollo was a huge step up for me. I had used a Digidesign 002 for almost a decade in my project studio. The Apollo turned my studio into a professional recording facility. The A/D conversion is such a staggering upgrade from the 002. Every thing just sounds more detailed and less noisy and colored. The real time near zero latency tracking is a dream. Love the extra DSP power too.
Needs more dsp should have been octo for the money
Console interface needs to be improved to be more user friendly and flexible
64 bit AXX update for pt11 come on!
Other then that I love my Apollo. Definitely the best choice for the money.
Recently I bought this magnificent piece of hardware with a bunch of plugins. Lately PT has been having some issues with certain plugins and it's latencies. Sometimes a popup comes up and says there is an error with the plugins. I just restart the computer and it's good again. It's kind of annoying :/
Still, the sound that comes out of this equipment is very very neat.